We have organized or supported several Learn-To-Fish Projects of different durations, subjects, and age levels with children and youth via Schools, Scouts and Cubs. Recent examples are detailed below,
Project: Fly Fishing Course, Journey Middle School, Sooke
- Collaborative effort in spring 2016 with West Coast Flyfishing Association, Haig Brown Fly Fishing Association and The Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC to introduce fly fishing to 20 Grade 7 and 8 students at Journey Middle School in Sooke.
- Golden Rods and Reels contributed weekly volunteer time of 10 club members in the 6 week program as well as a financial contribution of $250.
- Students were instructed in fly fishing techniques including casting flies, tying flys and fishing with flies.
- The program was a great success according to reports from the students and Vice Principal.
- Partnering with Scouts to introduce youth to fishing through a program supported by the Thrifty Smile Card Fundraising Program.