Skip to content
- Barry hasn’t been out, busy with domestic duties. Many members are away.
- Mick and Rob were invited to go fishing on a small private lake on the Tod Creek watershed, Maltby Lake. Small, deep and very clean with a population of wild cutthroat. Mick was most successful with 3.
- Dave was in Edmonton and attended a meeting with his old fly fishing club, and ended up helping teaching Scouts how to tie flies.
- According to fishing guide reports they are doing quite well.
- Rob is in constant contact with Ryan and reports he hasn’t been doing well off the waterfront. Only a few medium sized fish are being caught.
- Dennis @ Buttle Lake: Beautiful weather, best campsites are now on reservation list, fishing was good. Dennis found that while fishing with down-rigger, speeding up and slowing down the motor to get over humps on the bottom seems to catch fish. Ron Estey – did well sight fishing off the camp beach. Peter presented Dennis with a unique award: Grudgingly Presented for Largest Fish.
- Barry: Durrance – not a lot fish. Colin: Prospect Lake – 8 good rainbows caught on an orange fuzz-ball. Bill: Thetis Lake – 5 Bass.
- John: Prospect – good fishing. Ryan: Prospect – 8 rainbows. He has a Minn Kota motor for donation. Jim visited Bass Pro store in Tsawwassen: amazing store, taxidermy exhibits and fish tank. Free shuttle bus from ferry to store.
- Ken: Prospect – fishing for bass, lots of fish, biggest 6 lbs.
- Cecil – Oak Bay – spotty fishing.
- Cluxewe – last week of July and first three weeks of August. Fish for salmon off beach. Look up on website.
- Ocean Boat: Malibu for sale.
- Barry, Prospect Lake – good fishing, Durrance Lake – not so good.
- Rob and Ryan – took home 8 fish.
- Bill – Fairy Lake, good Cut Throat, 3 fish. Thetis Lake – not good this week.
- Rob – Is sending a Cut Throat caught in “” to the Fresh Water Society for analysis.
- Dave & his daughter – went on Cowachin with Ward Bond. 12 fish each at least, brown, cut throat, rain bow.
- Buttle Lake, some getting good fishing, some not so good if you don’t take all your equipment.
- John caught Chicken Halibut with Good Time Dave.
- Bill at Thetis Lake, great fishing using a beaded leech and woolly bugger.
- Jim and John, Langford Lake, fish are still there.
- Colin, Durrance Lake, 2 fish; Sandy catching on dry flies.
- Dale, Prospect, lots of fish just to the right of boat Launch.
- Rob and Ryan, Elk Lake, 8.5 lb carp and 7 trout including a cutthroat. There was a small discussion on cutthroat, sea-run and others. Jim will explore info on cutthroat.
- Dave had good fishing on the Cowichan River, but warned that the fish stop biting when the sun hits the water, so early morning and evening are now the prime times.
- Cyril has been fishing the Oak Bay flats recently, 3 Salmon, 9-12 lbs.
- Barry, Prospect Lake, got a few. Durrance Lake, a few.
- Dale, Prospect Lake, lots of cutthroat trout on yellow booby.
- John and Dennis fished Elk Lake, got three, John mightily impressed with Dennis’ boat.
- Ron on Durrance took Lev fishing, enjoyed it immensely.
- Bill caught rainbow trout in Thetis Lake.
- Jim advised using a size 10 hook and slow retrieve with boobie.
- Matheson Lake good for dry fly fishing at this time of year.
- WFFA fish-out tonight at Sooke Basin for sea-run cutthroat. Meet at A&W at 6:15 PM.